Friday, June 30, 2006

I've missed you - but I'm back now

I didn't realise what an important relationship I developed with the internet - I'm not sure it's healthy and I'm pretty sure it didn't miss me, still I have it back now and it's still cable so I don't have to wait too much if this hardware would behave more I'd be completely happy.

What have I been doing without the internet you ask - Well we're in our house and its good. There are a few strange things, have I mentioned we're one of the only people in Santa Fe with a basement? They don't do them here but the guy who built our house was paranoid so we have a basement and bomb shelter, with water supply. I've been told we don't get earthquakes or hurricanes here and I can't get bothered about terrorism so I've resisted stocking up with non-perishables and stashing them down there.

We have a train room - some might have a playroom but train seems to be the only thing happening there, its good 'cause Liam, Madeline and I can all try train together and not be on top of each other.

I have spent time and money getting set up to be able to create food in the kitchen, sleep on beds and wash. I'm still pleased with my choices of pots, knives and sheets, but we still need to find a bed for Liam and maybe Madeline.

Liam has had a week at La Casita this week, over summer there are two three week 'summer schools' which run 9-1 Tuesday, Wednesday and Thursday. He's really enjoying it. Madeline and I went on thursday for our participation day, its hard to get Madeline to leave after dropping Liam off so she had a blast. On your participation day you take morning tea for everyone, set that up clean it up join in or do an activity with the children and do the clean up at the end.

Last weekend we stayed in Santa Fe for saturday. We went to the farmers market for veges and bread then trolled around yard sales without success. Sunday we went to Taos but stopped at a moving sale and got a $25 sofa some mats and a jug.

There are two ways to Taos, the high road and the low road, so we went up the low road and back the high road. Both have really beautiful scenery the Rio Grande has a dramatic Canyon south of Taos and you drive along the river before climbing up onto the Mesa to Taos. Lots of artists have spent time in Taos, so there are lots of galleries and cafes and resturants, we didn't spend much time in Taos itself but we have lunch at a diner.
They had a solar music festival on so it was busier than normal (Taos can be quite popular anyway) There are several other drives we want to do from Taos so we though we could investigate a bit more another day. The high road home passed through mountain and forest and several small villages Robert Redford filmed the Milagro Beanfield wars in one of them.
Thunderstorms and lightning set in as we were almost home and hail about pea size, apparently it can get alot bigger than that here, just as we got into Santa Fe, we dashed from the car, the yard looked like it was snowing.

5 comments:

Susan Harper said...

Yayy! This little bit of the internet is glad to see you!

M + J said...

Hey, what happened with the car is it ok now? We need to see some photos of the car and house please!

We are staying with Josh's family in Wisconsin at the moment, which is really nice.

Love Mere

Christine said...

Thank you Susan!

Christine said...

will take photo's of the car next (after I've done the next installment)

Anonymous said...

Hi guys, loving reading your blog news, it looks like you're having a great time. Samson and Joji love seeing pics of the kids - more please. Hey, can you let us know your postal address, Samson has a letter for Liam.

Much love
The Dells